IRB Law Variations
The new IRB law variations will be in force for the tournament. Please check the tournament programme magazine for further explanation of these.
Number of Players in the Playing Field
Each team must have no more than ten (10) players on the playing field.
A team may designate no more than five (5) replacement players.
“Rolling subs” are permitted. However, the subs must only come from the players designated at the beginning of the tournament. Substitutions must be made during a stoppage in play i.e scrum, lineout, injury and join the filed of play at the half way line and only when the substituted players has left the field of play.
Duration of Matches
Each pool round match is divided into two (2) periods of seven (7) minutes. The halftime interval is two (2) minutes.
Each semi-final match (Bowl, Plate and Cup) is divided into two (2) periods of eight (8) minutes. The halftime interval is two (2) minutes.
Each final match (Bowl, Plate and Cup) is divided into two (2) periods of ten (10) minutes. The halftime interval is three (3) minutes.
Extra Time – Sudden Death
There is no extra time in the semi-finals matches (Bowl, Plate and Cup). In the event of a draw the team that scored first in the game wins. In the case of a 0-0 draw a coin toss made by the referee with the captains of the teams will decide the result.
In the finals matches (Bowl, Plate and Cup) there will be a sudden death extra time of three (3) minutes each way. The team that scores first in extra time wins the match. In the event of no scoring in extra time the team that scored first in normal time wins the match. In the case of a 0-0 draw after extra time a coin toss made by the referee with the captains of the teams will decide the result.
Commencement of Pool Matches
The team first named on the draw kicks right to left as looking at the field from the main grand stand side of the ground.
Commencement of Semi Final and Final Matches
There will be a coin toss made by the referee and the two team captains.
When a player has been temporarily suspended (yellow card awarded) the player’s period of suspension will be for two (2) minutes. Any player receiving a red card will be excluded from the remainder of the tournament.
Kick Off and Restart Kicks
All Kick Offs and Restart Kicks will be by a drop kick. The kick must be at or behind the centre point of the half way line.
Players getting in front of any Kick Off or Restart will result in a free kick to the opposition at the centre point of the half way line.
If the ball does not reach ten (10) metres from a Kick Off or Restart kick and the ball is not played at by the opposition team then a free kick is awarded to the opposition team at the centre point of the half way line.
If the ball is kicked directly into touch from a Kick Off or Restart kick then a free kick is awarded to the non offending team at the centre point of the half way line.
If the ball is kicked dead in goal or is able to be grounded in goal while the ball is still moving from a Kick Off or Restart Kick then the non offending team is awarded a free kick at the centre point of the half way line.
A scrum must have five (5) players from each team. All five players must stay bound until the ball is out of the scrum and no second row player can pick up the ball from the scrum.
The halfback cannot go beyond the front row of the scrum until the ball is out of the scrum.
General Tournament Rules Of The Chiang Mai Tens 2015
- All decisions regarding the seeding of the teams and match draws shall be the sole responsibility of the tournament organizers.
- There will be 16 teams in 4 pools of 4 teams for the male section and 8 teams of 2 pools for the women’s section
- Tournament play begins with teams playing each of the other teams within their assigned pool
- In each Pool Round game two points will be awarded for a win and one point awarded for a draw
- No extra time to determine a winner in Pool Round games will be played
- On completion of the Pool Round, semi Finals in the Bowl, Plate and Cup competitions will be played
- On completion of the Pool Round, and to decide the final placing in each pool, if two or more teams have the same number of points, the tie breaker will be decided as follows:
a) The team that scored the most tries in its Pool Round games will win the tiebreaker. If the teams are still tied, then:
b) The team that scored the most converted tries in its Pool Round will win the tiebreaker. If after a) and b) the teams are still tied, then:
c) The team which has the highest points differential (points “for” less points “against”) in its Pool Round will win the tiebreaker. If after a), b) and C0 teams are still tied, then
d) The winner of the tiebreaker will be decided by the toss of a coin, conducted by the tournament referees manager.
- The top two teams in each Pool advance to the Cup Semi Finals. The third and fourth placed teams advance to the Plate Semi Finals. The losers in the Plate Semi Finals advance to the Bowl semi finals. All semi Final winning teams advance to a final (Bowl, Plate, Cup)